INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Actor Chris Hemsworth will wave the green flag to start this year’s Indianapolis 500.
The honorary starter might be best known to racing fans for his portrayal of former Formula One James Hunt in the movie “Rush.”
But movie fans probably know Hemsworth best for his roles in the Marvel’s “Avengers” series. The newest installment, “Avengers: Infinity War,” recently set a box office record of $640.9 million worldwide opening weekend.
The Indianapolis 500 will be held May 27 on Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s historic 2.5-mile oval. Practice begins Tuesday, with qualifying set for Saturday and Sunday.
More AP Auto Racing: https://racing.ap.org
- Hemsworth to serve as Indianapolis 500 honorary starter
- Officials unveil pace car for this year’s Indianapolis 500
- Veterans, rookies to turn laps for Indianapolis 500 practice
- SCHEDULE | Practice resumes Wednesday for the Indianapolis 500
- Will Power takes checkered flag in 2018 Indianapolis 500
- Family of fallen Terre Haute Police Officer to serve as honorary team captain for ISU football home opener
- Man auctioning off collection of 16 pace cars from the Indianapolis 500
- Indianapolis native, Butler grad Ed Carpenter claims third career Indy 500 pole
- Terre Haute's Eva Kor to serve as pacesetter for 500 Mini-Marathon
- Indiana boy gets honorary black belt for fighting off dogs