VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Many in Terre Haute are looking to find justice today. The sentencing for the third and final person accused of killing Matt Luecking is set for Wednesday at 2 p.m.
That man is Don Featherstone. He has pleaded guilty to felony murder in this case. He's taking a plea agreement.
Kathleen Featherstone and John Collins also pleaded guilty to the murder of Luecking. She will serve 30 years in prison while Collins has 60 years.
Luecking continues to impact the Wabash Valley. He first moved to Terre Haute to attend Indiana State University. The city quickly became his home.
From there, he became a local radio personality. Jules Dunbar worked with Luecking for 20 years. She still remembers the last song they obsessed over at the radio station before he was killed.
The local radio host was murdered in his apartment in October 2016. The judge describes that crime as one of the most brutal he's ever seen.
The day police found Luecking killed in his apartment, they immediately reached out to nearby counties. They wanted to find those responsible.
Within an hour, police received a call from the Clinton Walmart. That's where police say two males tried to use Luecking's card and his ID. That tip later led to arrests.
Luecking's friends, and even police, say if it wasn't for that Walmart employee speaking up, this murder could have gone unsolved.
“That Clinton Walmart person has always stuck with me because I have never met them and I don't know them and I feel like I want to say thank you. It just doesn't seem like enough,” said Dunbar.
Wednesday is the final sentencing for Don Featherstone.
Dunbar says there's nothing that can prepare her for today, as she will sit in the same room as the person accused of killing her friend.
“They don't make them like Matt anymore, so to think someone has the audacity to take him from all of us, it is, it does make you mad. It makes you mad, it makes you sad,” said Dunbar.
- "He was taken from us." Luecking's loved ones prepare for final sentencing in murder case
- All three suspects plead guilty in Matt Luecking murder case
- Sentencing of fourth person charged in the Matt Luecking murder is Wed afternoon
- Man connected to the murder of Matt Luecking in court
- Honoring Matt Luecking's memory, one year later
- Judge sets new trial date for woman charged in Matt Luecking's murder
- Man convicted in connection to Matt Luecking murder in court for probation violation
- Final person involved in high profile child neglect case sentenced
- Judge sentences woman in Crawford County, Illinois murder case
- "You can learn from a tragedy and I think that is wonderful..." students learn from Luecking's murder