TERRE HAUTE, Ind (WTHI) - Pregnant women who abuse drugs and alcohol may do long-lasting harm to their babies after they're born. It's not a new problem but it's an issue that Harsha Behavioral Center targeted Friday. They held a roundtable discussion. Harsha is a psychiatric hospital for children and adults.
The hospital frequently sees children under the age of 3 who have mental issues due to their mother's drug abuse while pregnant.
One leader we spoke with today says cases like those have tripled since 2008. it's a reason she believes today's discussion was necessary.
"We are producing a whole generation of kids who are going to have a tremendous disability and they will be dependent on the welfare system for the rest of their lives."
The center suggested pregnant women who abuse drugs be required to under go a treatment plan.
- Harsha holds medical round table
- Tabled: Coke and Carbon plant site cleanup put on hold
- Youth leaders meet with Commander of 181st division at round table
- School leaders hold next round of 'community conversations'
- Vincennes city council tables food truck ordinance
- Bottle cap picnic table honors local teen
- Group hosts its annual Table Scapes event
- Emojis for medical use?
- Local medical group expands
- Council votes to table vote on rezoning near Deming Park