GREENE COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The Greene County Sheriff's Department reports one person has been arrested in connection to a credit card fraud investigation.
The investigation began on Oct. 5 when the Sheriff's Department was contacted by Powers Orthodontics in Lyons for a fraud complaint. An employee reported that a client used a credit card to pay for a bill that was issued in a different name.
The employee stated the credit card was in the name of Olive Kristler but the invoice was signed by Vonda Smith. Police obtained a copy of the invoice and stated the name on the invoice was Olive Kristler, but it was signed by Vonda Smith.
Obituary records show that Olive Kristler passed away on June 26, 2010. Police report Vonda Smith is the daughter of Olive Kristler.
In November an outside fraud investigation firm stated Vonda Smith was not authorized to use the account in the name of Olive Kristler that was still open and active.
Smith is facing theft and fraud charges and is out of the Greene County Jail after posting bond.
- Greene County Sheriff's Dept. investigating credit card fraud
- LOCATED: Greene Co. Sheriff's Dept. finds missing juvenile
- UPDATE: Suspected credit card thief caught
- Crime Stoppers: The stolen credit card information
- Vermillion County woman arrested for fraudulent credit card charges
- Knox county sheriff's dept. increases patrols on bus routes
- Police investigating a homicide in Greene County
- Crime Stoppers: The case of the credit card thief
- Crime Stoppers: Two suspects wanted in credit card theft
- Credit card companies doing away with requiring signatures