VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI) - A project to demolish grain bins in Vincennes will soon be underway.
That's as the state granted approval to a contractor to build apartments in their place.
The Riverview Loft Apartments will be along the Wabash River.
Officials put a halt to the project this summer when they learned the grain silos were considered a piece of history to the city.
The Indiana Historic Preservation Board has approved the demolition work.
They say demolition crews must work with a historic preservation board to look for anything that's important to Vincennes history.
Demolition work is expected to start by the end of the year.
- Grain bin demo planned for this year
- Farmer talks safety after IL grain bin accident
- Bloomington closes Kirkwood to demo driverless buses
- Demo started on Wabash Valley bar
- Cleanup complete for overturned grain truck
- Dunes on Pluto made of tiny frozen grains of methane
- School lunch rules OK refined grains, low-fat chocolate milk
- Cops and firefighters cause destruction in demo derby for local charities
- Gift of Grain Giving donation offers farmers the chance to help students
- Puppy dies after United flight attendant forces it to ride in overhead bin