TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Terre Haute is grieving the loss of a local teenager. William Garrett Sands was 17 years old.
Police say he was shot and killed at a house party in Vigo County.
It happened early Wednesday morning at a home in the Idle Creek Subdivision. Police say teenagers at the party were playing with a gun.
They say Nathan Derickson thought the gun was unloaded. He pulled the trigger and shot and killed Sands accidentally.
Derickson is being charged with reckless homicide.
Services for Sands will be held at New Life Community Church at 815 Ohio Street on Monday, April 2. According to the obituary, visitation begins at 12 p.m. and the service follows from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
Sands’ family says there will be free parking at the parking garage downtown for those attending.
- Funeral services Monday for Garrett Sands
- Garrett Sands Kindness Project adopts highway in Garrett's memory
- Garrett Sands vigil set for Thursday
- Garrett Sands Kindness Project Food drive
- Hundreds celebrate the life of William Garrett Sands
- Tattoo shop honors Garrett Sands with special designs
- Remembering Garrett Sands through simple acts of kindness
- School supplies donated in honor of Garrett Sands
- Garrett Sands Kindness Project helps family heal during the holidays
- Nathan Derickson sentenced for the death of Garrett Sands