VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - And then there were four.
We are continuing our coverage on the future of the Vigo County Jail.
During Tuesday night's Vigo County Council Meeting, the council added a fourth site to its roster as an additional property to be considered for the new jail.
That site is the former Thompson Honda Dealership at the corner of 1st and Ohio Street.
It is right across the street from the Vigo County Government Complex.
Both of those properties are on the list of potential jail site locations.
During the Tuesday night meeting, a resolution was passed in a six to one vote.
That resolution was to allow an appraisal to be conducted on the 1st and Ohio property.
Depending on the outcome, that site could then be considered as a stand-alone site, meaning the jail could be built on that property...or it could be built in conjunction with the government complex site.
That would mean if the government site was chosen, the former Thompson Honda property would be used for extra parking.
"It seemed that this was an appropriate time to add an additional site to the discussion," Vigo County Councilman Jim Mann said. "It's just another opportunity to look and make sure we're doing what's best for the taxpayer."
There are still two other properties on the table.
They are near the federal prison at Springhill and Prairieton Road and the former Stu's Golf Course behind the mall.
- Four spots remain in the running for a new jail location as officials look at a new site a little closer to home
- Commissioners still searching for new jail location site
- Where should a Vigo County jail be located? The question remains
- Update on new Vigo County jail location
- Old International Paper property back in the running for new jail location
- Limo crash at popular tourist spot kills 20, officials say
- Vigo County Commissioners speak out again on future jail location
- Community voices thoughts on possible new jail location behind mall
- Vigo County leaders making progress in jail location search
- The search continues for a new Vigo County jail location