VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The former superintendent of the Vigo County School Corporation is now facing felony charges.
News 10 has learned the Marion County Prosecutor's Office filed one Class C felony count of bribery and two Level Five felony counts of bribery against Dr. Danny Tanoos.
Statement from Vigo County School Corporation Superintendent Dr. Robert Haworth
Today, Vigo County School Corporation was informed that the Marion County Prosecutor has filed charges against Dr. Daniel Tanoos. Dr. Tanoos has been placed on administrative leave, pending a review of the charges by the Vigo County School Corporation Board of School Trustees. The Vigo County School Corporation has, and will continue, to cooperate fully with law enforcement.
Dr. Robert Haworth
Vigo County School Corporation
Those charges point to three specific dates: August 24th, 2013 - July 11th, 2014 - and August 10th, 2014.
The Class C felony carries a prison term of two to eight years, while each Level Five felony carries one to six years.
The affidavit in Tanoos's case points to an anonymous source.
That person met with the FBI and the State Board of Accounts in February of 2016.
The source alleged the school corporation improperly awarded contracts.
That's when the FBI launched a public corruption investigation.
In April of 2016, another source provided two bound volumes of documents supporting the original complaint that the contracts were improperly awarded.
This includes 'Energy Systems Group.'
The FBI's source had access to contracts and knowledge of the contracting process of the school corporation.
That source talked about Tanoos's close partnership with ESG representative Doug Tischbein.
The source also said Tanoos controlled decisions regarding school corporation renovation projects, and that the board routinely approved his choices.
The FBI raided the school corporation facilities on June 8th of 2016.
That's when agents say they collected significant digital and documentary evidence related to the school corporation's relationship with ESG.
The federal investigation revealed that Tischbein and ESG routinely provided benefits and perks to Tanoos and other school board members.
This was done so ESG could continue to get work through the school corporation.
The affidavit said Tanoos even solicited perks on his own, sometimes pairing the request with information about ESG competitors.
We will continue to follow this developing story and bring you more information as soon as it becomes available.
- Former VCSC Superintendent Danny Tanoos faces three felony bribery charges
- Statements from VCSC officials about felony charges Tanoos faces
- VCSC 'moving forward' following termination of Danny Tanoos
- An emotional Danny Tanoos announces his retirement as Superintendent of VCSC
- Danny Tanoos wraps up his last day as superintendent
- Judge postpones trial for former superintendent Danny Tanoos
- Next court date for Tanoos bribery case is January 23rd
- A bittersweet goodbye: Dr. Danny Tanoos attends last board meeting as superintendent
- Public input needed in VCSC superintendent search
- VCSC board hears concerns regarding superintendent search