VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A former Putnam County Deputy will return to federal prison.
Terry ‘TJ’ Smith received a new sentence Monday morning at the federal courthouse in Terre Haute. He was sentenced to 33 months.
Smith completed a previous prison sentence of 14 months which means he will serve an additional 19 months.
Smith will turn himself in at a later date.
A jury convicted Smith of using excessive force during two arrests during his time as a Putnam County Deputy Sheriff.
Smith appealed his initial 14 month sentence, so the government argued for more time. The Court of Appeals ordered this case for resentencing not once but twice.
The second time was under a different judge.
- Former Putnam County Deputy receives new sentence of 33 months
- One person dead after Putnam County crash
- Two hurt in Putnam County crash
- Putnam County death being investigated as homicide
- One killed in Putnam County crash
- Putnam County man arrested after alleged two county police chase
- Olney man receives maximum sentence
- Mushroom hunter finds skeletal remains in Putnam County
- More human skeletal remains found in Putnam County
- Putnam County man arrested in synagogue anti-Semitic vandalism