MARION COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - We are following developing news that involves the case against former Vigo County School Corporation Superintendent Danny Tanoos.
Tanoos faces multiple charges of bribery.
On Tuesday, his attorney filed a motion to dismiss those charges.
Court records claim Tanoos took money an gifts from Energy Systems Group while he was superintendent.
A court motion details why Tanoos' lawyer says the case has no merit.
The case is taking place in Marion County, where ESG is located.
The motion says the Marion County Court is not the right jurisdiction for this trial.
It says that the counts of bribery in question took place in Tennessee and Hamilton County, Indiana.
It also says that the allegations in the probable cause do not constitute as bribery.
Tanoos' team said he merely made a recommendation to use ESG...and the school board had to approve it.
Tanoos' lawyers also said the charging information is so vague that they can't build a proper defense.
Now, it's all up to the judge.
She could either grant this motion and dismiss the case or she could deny the motion and things will continue as planned.
She also has the option to hear more arguments in this motion.
News 10 spoke with legal experts and they say it's not that rare for defenses to file a motion to dismiss in the early stages.
- File to Dismiss: Danny Tanoos' attorney says charges too vague, can't build a defense
- Judge denies motion to dismiss the charges against former Vigo County School Corporation Superintendent Danny Tanoos
- Former VCSC Superintendent Danny Tanoos faces three felony bribery charges
- Attorneys for Tanoos file Interlocutory Order for Immediate Appeal request
- Tanoos plans to file for an appeal in court's decision to not dismiss charges against him
- Same attorney that represents Danny Tanoos will now represent Nathan Derickson
- Lawyers for Doctor Danny Tanoos must file their brief by Wednesday
- Danny Tanoos wraps up his last day as superintendent
- Statement on Danny Tanoos from the Vigo County School Corporation
- VCSC 'moving forward' following termination of Danny Tanoos