NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Petty’s family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.
His wife and daughter released the results of Petty’s autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.
The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner’s office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and oxycodone in his system.
They say Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems that caused him pain but he was still committed to touring.
He had just wrapped up a tour a few days before he died in October at age 66.
- Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose
- Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs died from an accidental drug overdose
- LAPD clarifies it cannot confirm Tom Petty's death
- Final Fork: Petty Pit Stop
- Companies donate overdose-reversal drug to Illinois
- No charges from video of Indiana men mocking man who died of drug overdose
- Police respond to string of overdoses due to synthetic drugs
- Indiana had record number of drug overdose deaths in 2017
- Butterflies released for International Drug Overdose Awareness Day
- Experimental app might spot drug overdoses in time to help