STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose

Tom Petty’s family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

Posted: Jan 19, 2018 7:35 PM
Updated: Jan 19, 2018 7:36 PM

NEW YORK (AP) — Tom Petty’s family says his death last year was due to an accidental drug overdose.

His wife and daughter released the results of Petty’s autopsy via a statement on his Facebook page Friday night. Dana and Adria Petty say they got the results from the coroner’s office earlier in the day that the overdose was caused due to a variety of medications.

The statement was posted moments before the Los Angeles coroner’s office issued its official findings, which confirmed that Petty had a variety of medications, including fentanyl and oxycodone in his system.

They say Petty suffered from emphysema, a fractured hip and knee problems that caused him pain but he was still committed to touring.

He had just wrapped up a tour a few days before he died in October at age 66.

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 56°
Feels Like: 66°
Robinson
Broken Clouds
67° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 67°
Indianapolis
Scattered Clouds
68° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 68°
Rockville
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 53°
Feels Like: 66°
Casey
Clear
62° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 62°
Brazil
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 55°
Feels Like: 66°
Marshall
Clear
66° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 66°
Scattered showers before a cool off
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

Latest Video

Image

Thursday Overnight Forecast

Image

TH Chamber of Commerce recognizes community leaders

Image

Crime Stoppers: Conlee Turner

Image

Vermillion County school health aide arrested, accused of stealing prescription medication from an e

Image

HAZMAT incident reported at Eastern Greene Middle School, several hospitalized for observation, scho

Image

Michael Ghant

Image

Parke Heritage Football

Image

THS Football

Image

West Vigo volleyball

Image

Northview volleyball

WTHI Events