TERRE HAUTE, Ind., (WTHI) - The Vigo County Public Library and Parks Department are working together to teach families about wildlife.
"Animal Tracks and Wildlife" was the theme at Family Fun Night at the Honey Creek Mall. The goal of family fun night is to let familes learn together. Organizers say families working with their children at an early age is important.
"Getting families a time to bond together and these skills actually do build early literacy so being able to talk with your child about the things they are seeing or the art they are making helps them become lifelong learners" Sarah Trover with the Vigo County Public Library says.
The library worked with the Parks Department to teach families about animals that live in area parks. Children could make various arts and crafts that looked like animal prints and play with animal puppets.
"It is really important to expose kids to nature even if it is in a nice warm environment like we have tonight I think to just connect kids to their world even just right here in our county parks is important" Trover says.
Organizers say next month's family fun night at the mall will showcase the library's newest technology.
- Families enjoy wildlife themed Family Fun Night at the mall
- Kids enjoy the start of Spring Break with Family Fun Night
- West Terre Haute church hosts a Family Fun Night
- Kids learn through books at Family Fun Night
- Families enjoy carriage rides at Forest Park
- Halloween fun for the whole family
- Family Learning Day brings families together for day of fun
- House of Christmas Mouse brings holiday fun for the family
- Santa stops at local college for family fun
- L&A Family Farms kicks off fall fun in Edgar County