MOSCOW (AP) - FIFA member federations voted in favor of the North American bid over Morocco. FIFA promises to publish each voter's selection.
The 2026 World Cup will have 48 teams playing a total of 80 games - 60 are planned in the U.S. and 10 each in Canada and Mexico.
All three hosts should get automatic places in the lineup, and each host a game on opening day.
Morocco lost again with its fifth bid campaign in the past 30 years, including to the U.S. for the 1994 World Cup.
The 2026 tournament will return to the North American region 32 years after that U.S.-hosted edition. Mexico also hosted in 1970 and 1986.
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or
- FIFA votes to play 2026 World Cup in North America
- Indianapolis to host 2026 Final Four
- 5 things to know for June 12: Hong Kong, campaign 2020, tropical cyclone, World Cup
- Styrofoam cups on the way out at SMWC as students and staff receive new reusable cups
- The longest pedestrian suspension bridge in North America is all lit up for the holidays
- Richard Overton, America's oldest World War II veteran and the oldest man in the US, dies at 112
- Early Voting started Tuesday
- Mental Health America hosts Halloween themed bash
- Snow forces NASCAR to postpone Cup race at Martinsville
- Starbucks' holiday cups will be back this week