TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - More human remains were found at a local construction site.
Construction crews are building the Riverfront Lofts at the former ICON building on First Street in Terre Haute.
Earlier this week, construction crews uncovered an entire intact coffin.
That, once again, brought construction to a halt.
Earlier this year we told you there was an old burial ground on the property when crews found a human skull.
It was called the Indian Orchard Cemetery.
Crews say they knew there was a chance they would run into remains.
Indiana State University Anthropologist Dr. Shawn Phillips was on site and said they have to stop work so they analyze what's going on.
"This takes time. And all of the people that they've hired. They have to wait while we do this. So it is a big expenditure for the company, but they've been very patient with that process," Dr. Phillips said.
Since the discovery of the coffin, ISU students have been sifting through dirt looking for things like coffin parts, coffin nails, and human remains.
Dr. Phillips said the coffin likely dates back to the early 1800's.
It will be reburied at a future date.
- Entire coffin found at Riverfront Lofts construction site
- Riverfront Lofts ready for residents
- Icon building to become Riverfront Lofts
- Riverfront lofts officially coming to Vincennes
- Work resumes at Riverfront Lofts after human skull found
- Pre-leasing for Riverfront Lofts in Terre Haute coming soon!
- Anthropologist may get involved after skull found at construction site
- Crews unearth human skull at Terre Haute construction site
- Casey's construction site in Seelyville collapses, workers hurt
- Stolen items from Moon Lite Drive-In construction site will result in opening delay