GREENE COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) – Eastern Greene students will return to class Monday after a hazmat situation sent students and staff to the hospital last week. More air quality tests were completed Sunday and the interim superintendent says a laminator may have been to blame for the issue.
According to Eastern Greene Schools Interim Superintendent Dr. Carrie Milner, several local and state agencies have competed air quality tests inside the middle school. These tests came back negative for harmful substances.
News 10 has been following this story since two students and three staff members complained of upper respiratory issues Thursday. Hazmat teams were called to the scene to figure out what was causing the reactions.
Dr. Milner says the problem may have started with a laminator in the middle school library. She says the laminator was not in a properly ventilated room and it may have released ozone. She says that would explain the symptoms students and staff suffered. The laminator has been removed.
In a statement Dr. Milner says, “We understand that the community wanted more answers during this incident but we didn’t have the answers to give.”
She says there will be a meeting to “debrief and analyze” safety procedures.
For the full release, click here.
- Eastern Greene classes to resume Monday, hazmat situation linked to laminator
- Eastern Greene students return to class after HAZMAT incident, saying pepper spray could have been to blame
- HAZMAT incident reported at Eastern Greene Middle School, several hospitalized for observation, school closed Friday
- Irritated skin, burning eyes, and nose, coughing, and shortness of breath...health officials talks discusses Eastern Greene HAZMAT incident
- Police handling Barricade situation in Greene County
- Sullivan County situation ends, suspect found in Greene County
- Eastern Greene High School renovates after construction defects
- Parents upset over Eastern Greene school board decision
- Eastern Greene High School welcomes Eric Kirkendall as Principal
- Storm spotter class on Monday