Downtown Vincennes receives money to update facades

Downtown Vincennes received a grant to help update the facades on nine of it's buildings.

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 5:54 PM

VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI) - On an average day, it can be a little hard to find a parking spot in downtown Vincennes. But it hasn't always been that way.

Dr. Brad Keller explains, "You know we've seen downtown go through some ups and downs. It's been full where you couldn't open an office. Then there's been multiple ones empty. We're on an upswing right now."

Dr. Brad Keller has had a business on Main Street since 1984.

Keller says, "We've always been here on Main Street ever since we've opened, ever since I got out of school."

Since then Keller's business has helped support the local economy. Now the city looks to repay that favor.

Mayor Joe Yochum says, "We've got nine property owners downtown that are investing their money. Their twenty percent match for this grant to improve the facades."

The grant was awarded by the state to the city to the tune of $500,000. The nine properties put up 20% of the bill and the grant covers the remaining 80%.

Keller's building is one of the grant recipients.

Keller says, "Instead of just repainting the building it allows us to replace the windows and redo some of the rotten wood and tuck point the bricks. So just do a whole facelift."

A project that Keller hopes will help him keep the doors open for years to come.

Keller says, "I mean it's not only going to make the building look nicer but it's going to restore it and make it last longer. We're happy being downtown. We want to stay downtown."

Terre Haute
Clear
63° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 63°
Robinson
Overcast
62° wxIcon
Hi: 75° Lo: 49°
Feels Like: 62°
Indianapolis
Few Clouds
63° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 54°
Feels Like: 63°
Rockville
Clear
61° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 61°
Casey
Clear
61° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 51°
Feels Like: 61°
Brazil
Clear
63° wxIcon
Hi: 78° Lo: 52°
Feels Like: 63°
Marshall
Clear
63° wxIcon
Hi: 77° Lo: 50°
Feels Like: 63°
A Pleasant Overnight
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

WTHI Events

 

Illinois Coronavirus Cases

(Widget updates once daily at 7 p.m. CT)

Confirmed Cases: 281303

Reported Deaths: 8744
CountyConfirmedDeaths
Cook1406235180
DuPage16955551
Lake16545486
Will13612374
Kane12790325
St. Clair6386187
Winnebago5531149
Madison5463131
Champaign447220
McHenry4463118
Peoria331449
McLean320020
Rock Island286974
Kankakee267677
Sangamon229044
Unassigned2238236
Kendall194725
Tazewell165721
LaSalle164056
DeKalb148438
Macon143642
Coles139630
Williamson135139
Jackson124824
Clinton108820
Boone107423
Adams103210
Randolph92611
Effingham8361
Whiteside70220
Ogle6516
Vermilion6484
Grundy6455
Monroe63915
Henry6365
Morgan62823
Knox6273
Bureau59711
Jefferson57238
Marion5180
Macoupin5157
Union50724
Franklin5053
Stephenson4846
Christian46011
McDonough45915
Logan4401
Woodford4086
Crawford4002
Cass38911
Jersey38514
Fayette3733
Shelby3604
Iroquois35919
Livingston3486
Lee3471
Perry34215
Montgomery33913
Warren3142
Saline2993
Bond2964
Douglas2857
Wayne2565
Lawrence2512
Jo Daviess2462
Carroll2174
Greene2167
Moultrie2083
Jasper2029
Cumberland2014
Hancock1993
Washington1981
Richland1714
Pulaski1611
White1610
Clark1542
Fulton1530
Johnson1480
Wabash1471
Clay1420
Piatt1320
Mason1291
Mercer1295
Menard1200
Pike1131
Edgar1117
De Witt1041
Ford995
Marshall980
Massac972
Scott750
Alexander731
Gallatin692
Hamilton670
Edwards640
Henderson640
Putnam550
Stark532
Calhoun470
Schuyler460
Brown430
Hardin370
Pope261
Out of IL20

Indiana Coronavirus Cases

(Widget updates once daily at 8 p.m. ET)

Confirmed Cases: 113337

Reported Deaths: 3530
CountyConfirmedDeaths
Marion20936761
Lake10334319
Elkhart6438109
St. Joseph6226103
Allen6060200
Hamilton4761109
Vanderburgh349430
Hendricks2681122
Monroe251236
Tippecanoe231213
Johnson2279123
Clark215756
Porter209046
Cass19339
Delaware189561
Vigo178524
Madison161075
LaPorte138239
Floyd132161
Howard129063
Warrick122336
Kosciusko120617
Bartholomew115357
Marshall99424
Dubois95918
Boone95646
Hancock91443
Grant89733
Noble89432
Henry78125
Wayne74714
Jackson7429
Morgan70638
Shelby66629
Daviess65428
Dearborn63928
LaGrange63211
Clinton59513
Harrison56424
Putnam53810
Lawrence50628
Montgomery50521
Knox5039
Gibson4894
White48214
DeKalb46311
Decatur45739
Miami4303
Greene41935
Fayette41813
Jasper3862
Steuben3747
Scott35910
Sullivan33112
Jennings31212
Posey3090
Franklin30325
Clay2985
Orange28624
Ripley2828
Carroll27113
Wabash2628
Washington2611
Whitley2556
Starke2537
Adams2523
Wells2503
Jefferson2443
Fulton2352
Huntington2223
Spencer2223
Tipton22022
Perry21513
Randolph2097
Jay1750
Newton17211
Owen1671
Martin1640
Rush1534
Pike1411
Vermillion1260
Fountain1202
Pulaski1151
Blackford1133
Brown1033
Crawford1030
Parke961
Benton880
Ohio777
Union770
Switzerland690
Warren391
Unassigned0225