TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Wabash Valley young athletes and their parents filled Union Hospital Saturday to learn some very important information.
An athlete symposium taught kids and their parents how to stay safe and healthy while playing sports.
Union Hospital sports medicine doctors held a panel to explain how student athletes can grow in their sport safely.
Organizers say one of the most common problems they see is athletes who are injured but don't know it. That can often lead athletes to make the injury even worse.
Mike King says, "If they do suffer an injury that they don't try to push themselves to come back too soon. Kids want to play and parents want to see their kids play. But coming back too early sometimes can hurt far more than it helps."
This was the second year for this event.
- Doctors meet with young athletes
- Young athlete injuries: The numbers are impressive
- Skyping the doctor? Poll shows it’s not just for the young
- Reaching young minds before Preschool
- Videoconferences helping Indiana doctors treat hepatitis
- Local doctor in competition for national prize
- White House doctor, VA nominee withdraws name
- Young Leaders hold their first conference
- Young women honored for achievements, service
- Young woman killed in single car accident