DANVILLE, Ill. (AP) — Authorities say an inmate in a holding cell at the courthouse in eastern Illinois was shot after stabbing a sheriff’s deputy several times in the face.
The (Champaign) News-Gazette reports that the I Vermilion County Sheriff Pat Hartshorn said the incident happened Friday morning in the county courthouse in Danville. Both men were taken to an area hospital but there was no immediate information about their conditions.
Nor was there any information about the inmate or why he stabbed the Vermilion County sheriff’s deputy.
Officials say the courthouse remains open.
- Deputy stabbed, inmate shot in eastern Illinois courthouse
- Illinois deputy killed in shooting
- Eastern Illinois University spring enrollment up 5 percent
- Eastern Illinois University to restructure over 2 years
- Eastern Illinois University program touts rural teacher jobs
- Transgender Illinois inmate seeks clemency from governor
- Transgender Illinois inmate gets rare transfer to female prison
- Illinois trooper shot in East St. Louis executing warrant
- Parke County Courthouse reno to wrap soon
- Parke County Courthouse construction wraps up