TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Terre Haute Fire Department Chief Jeff Fisher has suspended firefighter Rodger Plunkett II after he was arrested for child molestation.
On Wednesday night, News 10 was the first to report on Plunkett's arrest.
On Thursday, we talked with Chief Fisher.
"My stomach has been turning all week," Fisher told us.
He said the news of Plunkett's arrest came as a shock to him.
Two victims say Plunkett molested them multiple times as children, between 1998 and 2005.
Since his arrest, he was suspended with pay pending an internal investigation.
Fisher said this news is frustrating and unsettling.
He told us this is a serious issue, and he wants to be sure the department proceeds with its investigation correctly.
"People need to realize that the Terre Haute Fire Department is going to continue serving the community as we've done in the past. We're sorry that this may put a dark cloud over the department...but the people can rest assured that we have a lot of honorable and respectable members of this department," Fisher said.
Plunkett is being held in the Vigo County Jail on $100,000 bond
He will make his initial appearance in court on Tuesday.
Before we spoke with Fisher, he released a written statement. You can read that below:
"The City of Terre Haute Fire Department is deeply unsettled by the recent arrest and allegations made against Rodger Plunkett. Please remember that the Terre Haute Fire Department remains dedicated to maintaining the safety and wellbeing of our community. The Terre Haute Fire Department will continue to take all necessary measures to ensure that its members are held to the highest standards of the profession. As such, the department finds it necessary to immediately suspend Mr. Plunkett pending an internal investigation related to these allegations."
- Terre Haute's fire chief is deeply unsettled but reassures public after firefighter charged with molestation
- Terre Haute man charged with molestation
- Terre Haute firefighter arrested on multiple counts of child molestation
- Terre Haute firefighter accused of child molesting appears in court
- Terre Haute man sentenced for child molesting
- Terre Haute firefighter formally charged with five counts of child molestation
- Firefighters respond to Terre Haute house fire
- Firefighters battle Terre Haute apartment fire
- Community honors Terre Haute firefighters
- Court documents allege Terre Haute firefighter molested two underage girls, had child pornography