Photo Gallery 10 Images
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - An attempted robbery turned into a shooting at a Terre Haute apartment complex on Monday.
A cab driver picked up 17-year-old Daivionne Young near Larry Bird Avenue in the downtown Terre Haute area.
The shooting happened near 19th Street in the Greenwood Manor Apartment complex.
According to the Terre Haute Police Department, a cab driver from First Choice Cab picked up Young in downtown Terre Haute and drove him to Greenwood Manor to drop him off.
That is when Young allegedly pulled a gun on the driver and tried to rob him.
Police say the cab driver pulled out a gun and shot Young.
"The cab driver pulled out a gun and shot the suspect. Suspect took off. He was located by our uniform division, is in custody, he is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries at a local hospital," Terre Haute Police Public Information Officer Ryan Adamson said.
Adamson posted on social media Young, while 17, will be charged as an adult for armed robbery.
Police say there are no other suspects involved in this case.
The cab driver was not hurt.
News 10 talked with a woman who was in one of the apartments at the time.
She told us she saw some of this happen.
"I was upstairs working and I heard a couple of gunshots. I came out on the patio and I seen a black man running with a backpack...and I'm pretty sure he had a knife in his hand, but I'm not really sure, but as soon as I see that, I kind of went back inside," Vicki Schafer said.
Adamson told News 10 the cab driver does not face any charges at this time.
- Terre Haute cab driver shoots 17-year-old accused in armed robbery attempt, does not currently face charges
- Terre Haute man sentenced to 30 years for attempted murder and armed robbery charges
- Two facing attempted murder charges after cutting victim's oxygen line during an accused armed robbery
- WATCH: Four Terre Haute men put a stop to an armed robbery attempt near Miami
- Terre Haute Police investigate armed robbery at Mexican restaurant
- Three arrested in connection to Terre Haute armed robbery
- West Terre Haute man faces rape charges
- Terre Haute man that faces attempted murder, criminal confinement, robbery, and battery charges approved for work release
- Two juveniles charged after reported armed robbery at Terre Haute home
- Police investigate armed robbery