VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - After hours without power, things are back up and running for residents in Northern Vigo County.
Crews spent hours on scene working to repair a serious electrical issue.
Statement from CSX
CSX’s highest priority is the safety of our employees and the communities where we operate. Today, a power line fell on CSX track damaging the crossing signal equipment and traffic control devices at E Rio Grande Ave near Terre Haute, IN. Our communications and signals group is working to rebuild the equipment, which should be complete by noon on Sunday. CSX trains will operate at a reduced speed and will use alternative protection methods for any trains that traverse the crossing until the equipment can be repaired. The crossing is currently closed to vehicular traffic. CSX appreciates the public’s patience as we work to fully restore the crossing.
It happened near the railroad tracks at Rio Grande Avenue and Gallagher Road.
Rick Burger at Duke Energy said started it around 5:30 Wednesday morning when they got a call of a downed power line.
They're unsure if a poll was hit, or if mother nature caused the wire to come loose.
Burger said that wire caused a domino effect of issues including damage on the railroad crossing in the area.
He said safety was their top priority in these cold conditions.
"Electricity is needed for every home and every business, and we do our best to keep the power on, but there's conditions like this," said Burger.
"People know our routine and the storm you know. We get the bulk of people on, we look at nursing homes, hospitals and places like that as a priority too when storms come through," said Burger.
Burger said when they first got the call Wednesday morning, more than 400 customers were without power.
He said if you see a downed wire, you should always assume it's live and report it immeditatley.
- Power restored after serious electrical issue in Northern Vigo County
- Power slowly being restored in northern Vermillion County; less than 50 customers without power
- Power restored in Daviess and Martin counties
- Community Restore
- HVAC Issues close Vigo County Courthouse Early
- 14-year-old girl hurt in northern Vigo County crash
- Officials say electrical problem caused house fire in Vigo County
- Power restored after major planned outage in North Terre Haute
- Earthquake in northern Japan causes landslides, power loss
- Newly released report highlights opioid issues, solutions for Vigo County