Lit candle blamed for Terre Haute house fire

It happened just after 1:00 at a home at the intersection of South 11 1/2 Street and Kussner Street.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 2:19 PM
Updated: Dec 23, 2019 6:14 PM

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Just a few days before Christmas, a Wabash Valley family is without a home. This comes after firefighters in Terre Haute responded to a fire on Monday. 

First responders took several people to the hospital after the southside fire.

The Terre Haute Fire Department responded to the home on Kussner Street just before 1:30 p.m. Terre Haute Fire Chief Jeff Fisher told us the fire was ruled accidental. 

Officials believe someone left a candle unattended. 

Crews took multiple people to be checked out for minor injuries. They told us a dog also suffered burns. 

The house is considered a total loss. 

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Clear
80° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 80°
Robinson
Clear
81° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 81°
Indianapolis
Few Clouds
77° wxIcon
Hi: 79° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 78°
Rockville
Clear
76° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 76°
Casey
Clear
78° wxIcon
Hi: 80° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 79°
Brazil
Clear
80° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 44°
Feels Like: 80°
Marshall
Clear
80° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 80°
Thunderstorms Possible Tonight
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

WTHI Events