Homeowner thinks space heater to blame for Friday night fire

It happened just before 5:00 at a home on South 13th and a Half Street in Terre Haute.

Posted: Nov. 10, 2017 5:21 PM
Updated: Nov. 10, 2017 6:51 PM

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - A man believes a space heater is to blame for a fire in his house Friday evening.

It happened just before 5:00 at a home on South 13th and a Half Street in Terre Haute.

News 10 talked with the homeowner.

The man says he smelled smoke.

After that, he found a space heater, and blankets on fire in a nearby room.

We're told that person did make it out safely.

The family's dogs were unaccounted for when we spoke to the homeowner.

Firefighters tell us the house is a complete loss.

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Clear
17° wxIcon
Hi: 29° Lo: 17°
Feels Like: 10°
Robinson
Clear
14° wxIcon
Hi: 30° Lo: 15°
Feels Like: 14°
Indianapolis
Clear
19° wxIcon
Hi: 27° Lo: 16°
Feels Like: 10°
Rockville
Clear
17° wxIcon
Hi: 28° Lo: 17°
Feels Like: 10°
Casey
Clear
24° wxIcon
Hi: 29° Lo: 20°
Feels Like: 15°
Brazil
Clear
17° wxIcon
Hi: 29° Lo: 17°
Feels Like: 10°
Marshall
Clear
17° wxIcon
Hi: 30° Lo: 17°
Feels Like: 10°
Warmer air arrives, but rain chances show up mid-week
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

Latest Video

Image

North Central

Image

Monday Late Forecast

Image

Christmas in the Parke winners picked

Image

Christmas Around the World at Terre Haute banks

Image

Kid falls into pond at Terre Haute apartment complex

Image

Vigo County Aquatic Center to open to the public

Image

Dec. 10th Rick's Rallies

Image

14th and Poplar Standoff

Image

Staying safe with space heaters

Image

VCSC Community Conversation

WTHI Events