Coroner: Indiana boy, 3, died from a methadone overdose

A southern Indiana coroner says a 3-year-old boy whose death led to charges against his parents died from a drug overdose.

Posted: Jan 29, 2019 10:04 PM

WEST BADEN SPRINGS, Ind. (AP) — A southern Indiana coroner says a 3-year-old boy whose death led to charges against his parents died from a drug overdose.

Orange County’s coroner says Colton Brantley Harris died in December from an overdose of methadone, a narcotic that’s used to treat opioid addiction.

Police were called to the family’s West Baden Springs home on Dec. 3 to investigate a reported unresponsive child.

Colton was later pronounced dead at a Paoli (pay-OH’-lee) hospital.

The (Bedford) Times-Mail reports that his parents, Brittany A. Harris and Tyler W. Harris, both 22, both face one count of neglect of a dependent resulting in death.

They remained jailed Tuesday on $500,000 bonds, and both are scheduled for Feb. 11 pre-trial hearings.

Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday with their attorneys.

___

Information from: The Times-Mail, http://www.tmnews.com

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Scattered Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 75°
Robinson
Scattered Clouds
71° wxIcon
Hi: 74° Lo: 64°
Feels Like: 71°
Indianapolis
Broken Clouds
73° wxIcon
Hi: 88° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 73°
Rockville
Scattered Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 76° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 75°
Casey
Clear
76° wxIcon
Hi: 80° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 76°
Brazil
Scattered Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 75°
Marshall
Scattered Clouds
75° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 75°
Scattered Storms Linger
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

WTHI Events