WEST BADEN SPRINGS, Ind. (AP) — A southern Indiana coroner says a 3-year-old boy whose death led to charges against his parents died from a drug overdose.
Orange County’s coroner says Colton Brantley Harris died in December from an overdose of methadone, a narcotic that’s used to treat opioid addiction.
Police were called to the family’s West Baden Springs home on Dec. 3 to investigate a reported unresponsive child.
Colton was later pronounced dead at a Paoli (pay-OH’-lee) hospital.
The (Bedford) Times-Mail reports that his parents, Brittany A. Harris and Tyler W. Harris, both 22, both face one count of neglect of a dependent resulting in death.
They remained jailed Tuesday on $500,000 bonds, and both are scheduled for Feb. 11 pre-trial hearings.
Messages seeking comment were left Tuesday with their attorneys.
Information from: The Times-Mail, http://www.tmnews.com
- Coroner: Indiana boy, 3, died from a methadone overdose
- Coroner ID’s Indiana boy killed in school bus crash
- No charges from video of Indiana men mocking man who died of drug overdose
- 2-year-old Indiana boy found inside hot vehicle dies
- Family: Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose
- Indiana had record number of drug overdose deaths in 2017
- Coroner identifies victim of Meridian Tower fire
- Coroner identifies kayaker that was found dead
- Companies donate overdose-reversal drug to Illinois