TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The contract between the City of Terre Haute and the YMCA, that includes the reopening of the pool was approved at the board of public works meeting on Monday morning.
The vote to approve the contract was unanimous.
It will go into effect on September 1.
The city will take over a financial majority of the tab.
Costs like general maintenance and upkeep for example.
The city owns the property and the Y leases it from the city.
Moving forward the Y will be responsible for the monthly rent plus added utility costs.
City attorney Eddie Felling said the pool is a huge piece of the community.
"To have a tenant that's there that offers a great service to potentially everyone in the community we want to see that continue to happen and make sure we have a positive relationship moving forward," said Felling.
News 10 spoke with Jon Farley at the Y.
He told us the pool is a very important place for his kids to learn how to swim.
That starts at the pool in the Y.
With Terre Haute having a major river and multiple bodies of water, he wants his kids, and others to be more comfortable near the water.
"There's a lot of places that you know creeks lakes and stuff like that, so swimming lessons is a big deal especially if you're going to be around water a lot and especially with kids and the pool in general you know I think it's a good idea to be able to learn," said Farley.
Crews have started work to finalize repairs in the pool area.
There is still no official date for when the actual pool is set to re-open.
The two softball fields will also be under city control, as part of the contract.
- Contract involving the reopening of the YMCA pool approved
- Efforts continue to reopen YMCA Pool in Vigo County
- Grab your bathing suit! YMCA pool finally reopening its doors
- Bloomfield pool reopens
- YMCA pool one step closer to opening
- Opening date announced for YMCA pool
- City of Terre Haute working on plan to reopen YMCA pool
- Group continues to raise donations to reopen Vigo County YMCA pool
- Terre Haute's mayor says the city and YMCA reach verbal agreement to reopen the pool
- City of Terre Haute and Vigo County YMCA reach tentative agreement to reopen pool