VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) -The West Vigo Community Center is a space that means many things, to different people.
To the young athlete, it’s a safe space to be active. As Community Center Board Member John Barton explains, "A lot of kids in the community cannot go to Terre Haute to play basketball because of ability of transportation or the cost, what the cost is to go to Terre Haute to play basketball. And we give these kids the opportunity to come here and play. They get to play with all their friends, so that's really a big advantage."
To the community, the space has an even bigger impact. Barton shares, "It's a gym but it's more than a gym. It's called the “community center” for a reason. People have after-funeral events, they have fundraisers here, they play basketball here. It's a place for them to gather and be able to interact with one another. And, we don't charge for a lot of the events that are for the community."
The gym was purchased from the school corporation in the '70's and has had programming ever since. For a space that's given so much to the community, there's now a chance for the community to give back.
Barton says, "We were able to purchase a new floor and we're still selling sponsorships and we are still doing upgrades to the community center. The building is about 80 years old, and it just takes a lot of maintenance and we've replaced a lot of things and there's still a few things we need to replace. If you're interested in sponsorship, please reach out to us."
The West Vigo Community Center can be found at 127 West Johnson Avenue in West Terre Haute.
To reach out about the Center’s vast programming options or to donate, call (812) 533-7145. You can also find more information by clicking here.
- Community Spotlight: The West Vigo Community Center
- Community Spotlight: CODA
- Community Spotlight: Salvation Army
- Community Spotlight: Junior Achievement
- Community Spotlight: Vigo County Education Foundation
- Community Spotlight: The Vigo County Historical Society
- Community Spotlight: American Red Cross.
- Community Spotlight: Griffin Bike Park
- Community Spotlight: The Helping Hands organization in West Terre Haute
- Community Spotlight: Serving on the Streets