TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – Putting our past on display for all to see.
“History is relevant because it helps teach us what happened before so we can use that information to help make decisions today,” says Susan Tingley, Development Director of the Vigo County Historical Museum.
The Vigo County Historical Society has been tracking the area’s rich past since 1922. The Society opened a museum in 1958, and it’s been at the same location ever since. Now, a new and exciting chapter awaits.
Tingley explains, “I think the most significant event we have coming up will be the grand opening that we are planning to have in May.”
A new museum location in Downtown Terre Haute boasts more space to showcase history.
Tingley says, “We can change the exhibits, there’s a reason to come back over and over again.” Tingley adds there hasn’t been a certain date picked for the opening yet because the exhibits still have to be moved in and set up.
If history is your thing, VCHS may have a spot for you. Tingley shares, “We have a lot of different positions. You can go on our website at VCHSMuseum.org, and we have a volunteer application there.”
There are still some naming opportunities available within the museum too. Tingley explains, “If you’re interested in doing a donation that would allow you to put your name as a sponsor on our museum exhibits or on the building itself, you can call me, Susan Tingley, at the museum.”
To donate, you can use the Society’s Facebook donation button, visit VCHSMuseum.org, or call the museum 812-235-9717.
Tingley says the new history center hours are Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m., and Sunday 12 p.m.- 5 p.m. She adds there’s an admission fee, but you can also get a membership that gives you free admission throughout the year.
Tingley hopes the new museum space in Downtown Terre Haute will attract more people because of its location.
Facebook page to link: https://www.facebook.com/VCHSMuseum/
- Community Spotlight: The Vigo County Historical Society
- Vigo County Historical Society announces holiday hours
- Community Spotlight: Vigo County Education Foundation
- Community Spotlight: The West Vigo Community Center
- Vigo County Historical Society to offer memberships for new museum
- Folks enjoy movie showing at the Vigo County Historical Society
- Vigo County Historical Society unveils new technology in an exhibit
- Community Spotlight: CODA
- Community Spotlight: Salvation Army
- Community Spotlight: Junior Achievement