VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Having fresh new sneakers, means a lot to a kid.
"We see kids with shoes gaping open and with holes and duck taped together. Some kids are coming to school in flip flops even when the weather gets cold, it's necessary," said Jane Rink with the Terre Haute Women’s Club.
So, when they can't afford them that's where the Terre Haute Women's Club steps in. "It means a lot to us,” Rink added.
The organization's mission is to help provide shoe's for children in need in Vigo County. Rink said, "We could not do this job of giving shoes without our business community and the individuals and the corporations."
Children are recommended by school leaders. That's when the bus stops by, and they can pick out from a variety of shoe styles, sizes, brands and socks.
Rink said, "They look through to see what the shoes look like, and put them on a list for us. They send us a list on a Tuesday and we make a shoe bus on the morning and another in the afternoon on Thursdays."
Although it’s a tough job to do, the organization says it's the reactions, that makes it worth it. The Terre Haute Women’s Club said, "They look down at their feet when they're walking, giving a Kindergarten girl a pair of pink tennis shoes… it's just bliss to them."
The Terre Haute Women's Club is preparing now for their biggest fundraiser of the year. It's called An Evening of Art and Wine. Mark your calendar for April 21st.
The organization is averaging about $22 for a pair of shoes. So your ticket to the annual event can buy two pairs of shoes for local kids.
You can get your tickets online.
Click here to visit the Terre Haute Women’s Club Facebook page.
Or, click here to visit their website for more details on An Evening of Art and Wine.
A simple donation, so you can help make sure local kids take a step in the right direction.
- Community Spotlight: Terre Haute Women's Club Shoe Bus
- Community Spotlight: Happiness Bag in Terre Haute
- Shoe Bus receives grant, make stop at Terre Haute school
- Community Spotlight: The Helping Hands organization in West Terre Haute
- Community Spotlight: The Brazil Lions Club
- Community Spotlight: CODA
- Community Spotlight: Salvation Army
- Community Spotlight: Junior Achievement
- Community honors Terre Haute firefighters
- Bus route to West Terre Haute approved