TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Cold weather affects our pets just as much as it does us. If not watched carefully, it can be dangerous.
Fred Strohm is the Operations manager at the Terre Haute Humane Society.
He says sometimes the most important things are the simplest things.
"Once it gets below freezing, their water is gonna freeze too, so make sure that you continually are breaking up the ice on their water, or giving them a heated source of water so that they can come back to that. You know, their food may freeze, if the food gets wet and it freezes, then they're not gonna have anything to eat"
Strohm says keeping them warm can be simple.
Bring them inside if you can, and if you cant, check out these ways to make a warm bed for your fuzzy friend.
- Cold weather affects our pets too.
- Pets and cold weather
- How the heat affects our pets
- Cold weather and the effects on our pets.
- How to keep your pets safe in cold weather extremes
- Cold weather furnace prep
- Pet experts say prepare your pets for warm weather pests
- Cold weather and your car
- Inexpensive ways to protect your home and pets from the cold weather
- Pet owners are reminded to bring pets indoors during dangerously cold temperatures