Photo Gallery 1 Images
VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Many celebrated a 19th century Christmas Saturday at the annual Christmas Walk in Pioneer Village. While they were there, they may have noticed a rededication ceremony for a cabin destroyed by fire.
Pioneer Village is located within Fowler Park in southern Vigo County.
Pioneer men and women decorated their cabins for all to see. Folks were able to enjoy carriage rides, hot drinks and sweet treats while checking out the village.
There was also an official rededication of a cabin that was almost completely destroyed by fire last year.
News 10 has been following efforts to rebuild Cochran Cabin.
Most of the cabin was lost to a fire but Vigo County park staff and many volunteers were able to salvage parts of the original structure like the chimney and foundation.
Parts of the Plummer Cabin in Greene County were donated and logs from the Gillin family were used to create what will now be called the Cochran-Plummer Cabin.
Those who have worked on the rebuild say the finished product is a historic structure they hope will educate families for many years to come.
Honorary Park Employee Ron Gillan says, "It's been tremendous. You learn stuff every day. It's been a challenge. I enjoy challenges. Met a lot of good people.”
Staff and volunteers were recognized for their hard work raising the cabin as the pioneers would during one of the coldest Novembers on record.
- Cabin ravaged by fire rededicated and renamed
- Le Fer Lake rededication and blessing
- Off the Beaten Path: Cabin Fever
- Logs Gathered for Destroyed Pioneer Village Cabin
- Trump comforts storm-ravaged Carolinas with hot dogs, hugs
- Work Underway to Replace Destroyed Pioneer Village Cabin
- Destroyed Pioneer Cabin Nearly Rebuilt Ahead of Ceremony
- Cabin a total loss after fire at Fowler Park in southern Vigo County
- Parks Department looking for artifacts to salvage after cabin fire in Fowler Park
- Proposal to rename road to honor Officer Pitts to go before city council