CLAY COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Imagine serving almost 300 kids food with little means.
That's just what The Clay County Youth Food Delivery program does.
This week the program packed food for kids in need.
"We did the best we could to put as much food as we could to fit in the backpack of a child," said Lisa Beyers, food program volunteer.
The program packed cereal, granola bars, fruit snacks, and peanut butter. All to make sure the kids don't go hungry over spring break.
Lisa Beyers and Terry Barr are volunteers for the program.
Barr says her first experience delivering food was eye opening.
"...and when I walked away, they were carrying on like my children carry on on Christmas morning over their lunch. And so that forever changed me," said Barr.
The program partners with the Clay County YMCA for funding.
Executive branch director Nicole Fry says it's a very important cause the Y sponsors.
"It's just very humbling to be a part of an organization that can make an impact on so many people," said Fry.
While the program can only give so much, they hope the food will last the kids for seven days.
Either way they know it has an impact on the children's lives.
"They're very accepting of it, and grateful, and gracious," said Beyers.
The program feeds kids year round, including during the summer time.
They accept donations and volunteers at any time.
You can donate at the Clay County YMCA.
To learn more about the program visit http://www.clayyouthfoodprogram.com/
- Clay County Youth Food Delivery program feeds kids over spring break
- Clay Youth Food Program
- Clay County Youth Food Program needs volunteers
- Out of Food: Clay County Youth Food program needs your help to feed children in need
- Clay County Youth Food Delivery Program throws out a challenge for you
- Clay county food program feeds hundreds of children this season
- Hundreds more benefiting from Clay County Youth Food Program
- Clay Youth Food Program delivers food to 950 local children
- Clay County Summer Food Program releases summer numbers
- Christmas For Kids Deliveries Underway