TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The Terre Haute police chief says he takes responsibility for a suspect escaping through a perimeter during a stand-off last week.
Chief John Plasse was quick to point out he and Terre Haute Police officers were in charge of the scene when Mikey Reynolds escaped through a basement window. He shared more details about the investigation during a press conference Tuesday afternoon.
Plasse says, "The point is he got out of our perimeter and had he not done that we wouldn't be talking about where he went when he escaped so that's on us and we're going to fix that."
Plasse explains Reynolds got out of a basement window and through a privacy fence around 12:30 am after several hours of a police stand-off on 1st Avenue. According to Plasse, the window was not adequately covered. He says it was difficult to safely see the area as shots were exchanged but the firing had stopped when Reynolds made his move.
According to police, Reynolds made it to another home on 4th Avenue before leaving again and going to WalMart around 3:30 am. Chief Plasse says Reynolds bought a cell phone at the store before returning to 4th Avenue. Plasse is unsure why he came back but says Reynolds was planning to leave again.
"You're asking me to think like a crazy man and I don't know. A logical person would say why would you go back there? Obviously, he wasn't acting logically with what he was doing."
Mikey Reynolds later died at that location.
Chief Plasse is working with the Special Response Team to ensure something like this never happens again.
"I told them not to let this impact them in a negative way, no to get discouraged because believe me I have really done some soul searching on what I've done."
There were four other adults in the home where Reynolds died. Indiana State Police are investigating what role they may have played in all of this and Plasse anticipates there will be more arrests. Information could be presented to the prosecutor next week.
- Chief Plasse takes responsibilty for failure to keep suspect in perimeter during stand-off
- Police Chief Plasse: Recent shots fired cases connected to drugs
- THPD Chief Plasse shares words following Officer Pitts' death
- How did accused shooter Mikey Reynolds escape the police perimeter? We asked THPD's chief
- Honoring the Badge: Sheriff John Plasse
- "He could have very easily killed someone else." Police chief has no excuses after suspect breaks perimeter and goes to Walmart
- VIDEO: Full press conference with Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse
- "We have to be better than this..." Chief John Plasse on Mikey Reynolds escape
- A group of kids share their special message to police with Chief Plasse
- Sheriff Plasse pushing for Special Events Ordinance in Vigo County