BRAZIL, Ind. (WTHI) - A local teacher's aide told police she made a mistake after exchanging pictures with a student.
The Clay County Prosecutor's Office said it is filing charges against Molly Lumsdon.
News 10 started asking authorities about this case a few weeks ago.
On Monday, the chief deputy prosecutor said he reviewed the case and is charging it.
According to a police report, the investigation started last September.
That's when students reported a teacher's aide had sent nude photos of herself to a student.
The 17-year-old student told police Lumsdon sent him a photo of her bare chest.
Lumsdon told investigators the student said he was 18.
She said they showed each other pictures of themselves.
The Clay Community School Corporation lists Lumsdon as an instructional assistant for special services.
Police asked why Lumsdon didn't tell anyone about getting pictures of a minor.
According to the report, she said she erased them and thought she wouldn't have to deal with it.
The 17-year-old student told police Lumsdon told him not to say anything about what happened.
Police said they obtained a search warrant for Lumsdon's phone.
Officers said they found several lewd photos, but no messages between her and the student.
News 10 has reached out to the Clay Community School Corporation.
We left a message after hours for the superintendent. Tuesday morning, News 10 recieved the following press release.
"On September 17, 2018, the Northview High School (NHS) Administration was informed that Molly Lumsdon, a NHS instructional assistant, had sent inappropriate pictures to a NHS student. The administration immediately contacted the Department of Child Services and the Clay County Sheriff's Department. Mrs. Lumsdon was escorted from the school building and informed that she was placed on administrative leave, pending an investigation. After an internal investigation was conducted by the CCS Administration, Mrs. Lumsdon was terminated from her employment with Clay Community Schools on September 19, 2018."
- Jeffery D. Fritz, CCS Superintendent
We are continuing to follow this developing story and will bring you more information as soon as it becomes available.
- Brazil teacher's aide accused of sending lewd photos of herself to a 17-year-old student
- Clay Community Schools issues statement after former teacher's aide accused of sending nude photos to 17-year-old student
- Brazil students honor first responders with breakfast
- Brazil expands economic district
- Services set for 17-year-old Madi Moore
- Samsung bug sends photos to random contacts without permission
- 19-year-old accused of killing 17-year-old Garrett Sands released on $50,000 bond
- The man accused of shooting and killing 17-year-old Garrett Sands is back in court today
- Brazil animal service contract approved
- Bluegrass quartet performs in Brazil