INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (WTHI) - Senate Bill 552 has passed the Indiana House, keeping alive the chance for a casino to come to Terre Haute.
The bill legalizes sports wagering in Indiana while allowing both casinos in Gary, Indiana along Lake Michigan to move inland.
The bill moves one of those casinos to Terre Haute.
Many members of the House spoke publicly saying they support the bill, but adding much work needs to be done.
There are so many components to this bill, which means it has a lot of interests to it.
That is why so many representatives felt compelled to speak on the record regarding the bill on Monday.
When the votes were finally tallied, more than 70 voted in favor of the bill.
It now goes to a conference committee.
Democrats and Republicans from both houses will make up this committee.
Its task is to bridge the vast difference between the House and Senate versions of this bill.
State Senator Jon Ford told us he is confident the bid for a Terre Haute casino will ultimately be passed.
"It's the 'how' that this process will have to figure out. I think everyone knows we want to help Terre Haute, we want to help Gary...so let's figure out how to do that," Ford said.
Time is not on the side of the state lawmakers.
State Representative Alan Morrison said lawmakers have about six working days to get this done before all lawmakers turn their collective attention to the state budget, which will be the last thing passed this session.
- Two bills that would bring a casino to Terre Haute passes in Indiana Senate, the House is next
- Bill that would bring a casino to Terre Haute has passed the Indiana House, here's what's next
- Senate Bill 552 passes 10-0, a step that could bring a casino to Terre Haute
- Casino bill heads to full Indiana House
- Vigo County Commissioners support bringing casino to Terre Haute
- Hearing set for bill that could bring casino to Terre Haute
- Hearing set for next week on Senate Bill 552, the bill that would bring a casino to Terre Haute
- Indiana Gaming Commission approves casino sale, make a Terre Haute casino one step closer
- Indiana casino bill moves to House Public Policy Committee
- Over 100 people go to Indy to support bill that would bring a casino to Terre Haute