VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - We are just days away from the beginning of camping season in Vigo County.
Area campsites are hard at work preparing camping areas. Camping season in Vigo County begins May 1st! If you plan on camping as soon as the season starts officials say to prepare now. Vigo County park officials say they've been working since last camping season on improvements to the area's campgrounds.
"There's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes to get a park ready for opening day of camping season," Adam Grossman with the Vigo County parks department says.
Along with making sure campground bathrooms are ready for the season park officials say they've cleared a few trees to make the area safer. May 1st is the first-day area campsites will be open. Park officials say if you want to camp you might need to prepare a spot a few days in advance.
"First the holiday weekends are always busy, July 4th, Memorial Day, Labor Day, get here early, first come first serve. Some people get here Wednesday before the holiday weekend to make sure they get a good spot. If you want a better spot get here earlier" Grossman says.
Grossman says Fowler Park will now have a potable water station for RV's. He says the shower house at the park is being remodeled as well.
"The maintenance staff out here really put a lot of time and energy and dedication into the job. These guys care a lot about the people that come visit the parks so we make it look the best that we can and make it the best experience that we can" Adam Grossman says.
The campground opens May 1st and costs $20 a night.
- Area parks preparing for camping season
- Area hospitals prepare for disasters
- Area farmers prepare for harvest
- Area farmers prepare for 2019
- Camp Navigate summer camp prepares kids for future
- Prairie Creek Park Prepares for Syrup Production
- Vigo County Parks Department Preparing Hiking Trails for Future Park
- West Terre Haute Area Parks Get Upgrades
- Syrup production underway at area park
- Great Start Boot Camp prepares college students for the workforce