SULLIVAN, Ind. (WTHI) - Cooking can be difficult for some but several elementary school kids put their skills to the test in a competition at Sullivan High School Thursday.
Organizers say the goal of the "Sodexo Future Chef" competition is to get kids thinking about healthy options early.
"This will teach them how to cook healthy cookin' so they will learn how to cook and everybody needs to know how to cook and it's amazing what these kids can do and what they've practiced and they know what they are doing and it's a lot of fun for them," organizer Lynne Arnett says.
One competitor, Carson Donnar is in 5th grade. He and other area elementary school students are competing against one another for the chance to move on to a national competition. The theme of the competition is healthy Asian-inspired recipes and organizers say the goal is for the dishes to be easily accesible for younger kids. They say they want the kids competing in the event to teach their classmates about healthier options they learn from the competition.
"Kid friendly and something they can cook and are able to do when they are at home and they are hungry they can be able to do something for themselves" Arnett says.
The students prepared and presented their dishes to local judges. The judges compared each child's dish based on originality, taste, and kid friendliness. Before cooking students learned how to safely handle cooking tools and be hygenic when preparing food. Students from sullivan and carlisle elementary schools are part of over 200 other school districts across the country holding similar competitions.
- Area Elementary School Students Compete in Cooking Competition
- High school kids compete in automotive competition
- Students compete in MATHCOUNTS regional
- Illinois fifth graders compete in Rube Goldberg competition
- Elementary students learn computer coding in Wabash valley schools
- Rose-Hulman students compete in Monster Mash Challenge
- Terre Haute students prepare for international competition in California
- Students head home with trophies from international competition