GREENE COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Empathetic, selfless and irreplaceable. These are the words that many use to describe one woman in Greene County.
It's the incredible story of a local advocate who is changing hundreds of lives.
The atmosphere of a fresh start and a new beginning some Greene County residents experience firsthand because of one woman.
"The changes that she helps clients make in their own lives are monumental," Samantha Edwards stated.
Cue the surprise and the tears for Christa Turpin! "I think I'm still dreaming and I’m going to wake up!"
Turpin’s co-workers at Greene County's Middle Way House say it's an honor well deserved.
But she downplays what she does.
"You know they just need a little something usually, so whatever we can do to provide that,” Christina said.
Don't let her fool you, Christa goes far beyond just a little something as she calls it.
For 20 years she's helped survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, and rape at the Middle Way House. We would show their space, but the office needs to remain disguised for their clients' safety.
From running a prevention program to visiting a victim in the hospital, there's no task too big or too small for Christa.
In fact last year she helped 250 people. But her work doesn't come without bumps in the road
"Our current space has been given away so we're going to have to move by July so we're going to need a space."
So these advocates are looking to the community to offer a new safe place for families to go. One small request from the woman who's paving the paths for hundreds.
"And people love Christa for that. She gives people their own life and gives them the power to control their own decision."
Christa says they can't continue their services without a work space.
If you or your business would like to help the Middle Way House, click on this link here.
- April Make a Difference: Helping hundreds of lives at Greene County's Middle Way House
- Make a Difference: Scott McDaniel
- Make a Difference: Rusty Goodwin
- Make a Difference: Todd Norris
- Make a Difference: Making 4-H her passion
- Make a Difference: Irene Skomp helping those in need
- Make a Difference: The Clay County Girl Scout twin sisters
- Make a difference: home run derby
- 4 Indiana locations make "Horrible Hundred" list
- Local dog breeder makes "Horrible Hundred" list