JASPER COUNTY, Ill. (WTHI) – Emergency dispatchers in one Wabash Valley community are using new technology so you don't actually have to call for help in an emergency.
Jasper County, Illinois is the latest to launch a Text to 9-1-1 system.
You can text 9-1-1 for help if you are hearing or vocally impaired, or if you feel it is too dangerous speak.
9-1-1 dispatchers can also text you back.
Safety experts say you should still call if possible. Either way, provide the most important information first like your name and location.
- Another community launches Text to 9-1-1 service
- Vigo County School Corporation launches emergency text alerts
- During winter weather...when is it okay to call 9-1-1?
- Local woman wants to warn community of recent text scam
- Community Spotlight: Chances and Services for Youth
- Team Storm launches new way the community can report issues
- 9-1-1 call leads to the arrest of man police considered armed and dangerous
- ISU opens up personal training services to the community
- Community members prepare to pay respects to Navy service member