LOOGOOTEE, Ind. (WTHI) - A Martin County woman is behind bars facing charges of animal neglect and animal cruelty.
Police arrested 73-year-old Julia Arney of Loogootee.
On Thursday, police said they received a tip telling them about an active puppy mill at a home on 2779 Rutherford Road, in Loogootee.
Officers said when they started walking onto the property they heard dogs barking from several different buildings.
When an animal control officers got close to the home, he said he could several dogs running around inside and a dead dog laying on the floor.
That is when police requested a search warrant.
While searching the home, officers said they found several dozen dogs locked in feces-covered cages with no food or water.
Some of the caged dogs were reportedly already dead.
Police told us they also found several horses and donkeys on the property.
"Just by the stench alone, people shouldn't be living there and animals shouldn't be living there either," Susan Wittmer from the Martin County Humane Society said.
The Martin County Humane Society is currently caring for many of the rescued animals, and they need your help.
They are asking for monetary donations to help provide care for the animals.
If you would like to donate, you can on their Facebook page at this link.
- Feces covered cages, dead dogs, no food or water - police charge 73-year-old Loogootee woman with animal neglect and cruelty
- Woman charged for Loogootee puppy mill faces 11 animal cruelty charges, all misdemeanors
- Vermillion County woman arrested after police said they found dead and neglected animals on her property
- Three Knox County men face animal cruelty charges
- Parke County man accused of animal cruelty after police said they found dead and malnourished animals on his property
- Clay County animal neglect case under investigation
- Two dead in crash north of Loogootee
- Sullivan animal shelter overcrowded after Paxton animal neglect
- Woman booked on neglect charges, police say two animals found so decomposed they couldn't tell what they were
- Police search for answers after a dead, malnourished dog was found inside of a cage in Vigo County