LOOGOOTEE, Ind. (WTHI) - Everything is back to normal at Loogootee Community Schools, and parents say they are relieved.
That's after a threat at the high school.
Administrators, police, and the prosecutor's office held a safety forum on Tuesday night.
That's where they talked to parents about Friday's situation, and how they plan to move forward.
Friday's scare at the high school may be over, but the concerns for safety are not.
School officials say two students made threats of having weapons on campus.
While the threat ended up being a hoax, parents like Cindy Clark say they're still concerned.
"It still makes you consider what goes on in the school systems around you, and the other schools," Clark said.
For Superintendent Chip Mehaffey, they're using Friday's situation as an opportunity to revisit and improve their safety protocol.
"A tough situation for all of us, but we came out if a close-knit school and with better plans to move forward," Mehaffey said.
That plan includes more transparency at Monday's forum, with recent mass shootings making national headlines, Mehaffey said they can't afford to take threats lightly.
"This is not just in southwest Indiana, this is happening all over the country right now and it's just a new age. We're going to have a generation of kids who are raised and understand what is appropriate, things you can and can't say," Mehaffey told us.
Staying vigilant in a child's life...a lesson that parents like Clark say they're already putting into action.
"I just encourage my son to talk to me all of the time, and I encourage for his friends and to watch who he hangs out with...and encourage him to go to church," Clark said
Mehaffey says when it comes to reporting school threats, some are scared to come forward.
That's why the school corporation is also launching an online tool so you can report it anonymously.
He says once it's ready, you will find it on the school corporation's website.
- After threats on Friday, southern Indiana school holds safety forum
- School Safety Week in Indiana
- Vincennes School Corp holds forum for Franklin Elementary parents
- League of Women's Voters holds candidate forum
- Indiana House approves statewide school safety audit
- Indiana House approves school safety funding
- Local group holds a forum to let you meet candidates
- Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce holds community forum
- Indiana schools, communities take lead on school safety
- Indiana, Illinois earn failing grades for street safety around schools