WEST TERRE HAUTE Ind. (WTHI)- Erin Murphy is a student at West Vigo High School.
She started a project to encourage young kids to read with their parents.
Now, it's grown to donating books to other organizations in the community.
Murphy created "Literacy for Littles".
It's a way to promote parent bonding and literacy in young kids.
Murphy said she wants kids to have the same experience growing up that she did.
"My biggest memory of when I was little was my mom and I, we'd go to the library and we'd get as many Cinderella books as we could and she'd read them to me," said Murphy.
Murphy hopes others will feel the same way she does when picking up a book.
That's why she's donating books.
"These books could help out. They could...like the parents could bond with their kids. The stress could go down, just seeing their kids happy. That makes me happy, and just the chance of more people reading makes me like ecstatic," said Murphy.
The Healthy Families program at the Hamilton Center is receiving some of the donations.
Program leaders said these books will make a big difference in many lives.
"For our families, many who are experiencing so many stressors and financial challenges, thinking about using books or being able to buy books, those kinds of things are not something that some families can do," said Grayless.
Murphy hopes this will inspire kids long after they've grown up.
"I want to keep people to love to read so much that they don't want to stop reading," said Murphy.
Grayless said they received more than 200 books that will go to their families.
She said they also were able to send some of the donations to their other programs with older children.
- A love for reading grows into a project to give back
- Sullivan County FFA Project grows to completion
- A love story, alumni couple gives back to a university that brought them together
- 'Give a Book' program works to help children enjoy reading
- Bridge project pushed back after weather issues
- Students take the chance to give back
- Volunteers spend their day giving back
- ISU gives back with Donaghy Day
- Covered in love; looking for love
- Vincennes University club gives up long time project