Moon gazers be ready! April's full moon, known as the Pink Moon, is set to premiere on Friday.
The moon will appear larger than average because it will be three days past perigee, the point in its orbit when it is nearest to Earth, according to Space.com.
Although the name suggests the moon will appear a certain color, that is not true. Instead the moon is named pink after the color of wild ground phlox, one of the early spring flowers. Native Americans named the moons so they could keep track of their harvesting schedule.
The moon might appear red or orange because of dust, haze, smoke or ash in the atmosphere.
The next full moon will be the Flower Moon on May 18.
- Pink Moon set to illuminate the skies on Friday
- Paint the Town Pink Carnation Sale
- Jeep Junkies go 'Topless for PINK'
- The Phases of The Moon
- Help 'Paint the town Pink' this Friday during annual carnation sale
- Jeep Junkies partner with PINK of Terre Haute to give away pink Jeep
- With 17,000 pink carnations sold, Paint the Town Pink called a success
- Bikes for Tykes fundraiser set for Friday
- Wearing pink to draw attention to breast cancer awareness
- Moon Lite Theater announces opening date