Family Dollar will close 390 stores this year and make big changes to the stores it is keeping open as the discount chain seeks a turnaround.
Family Dollar sells a variety of items for under $10 at rural and urban locations. Dollar Tree bought the company in 2015. But Family Dollar has struggled, and Dollar Tree is under heavy pressure from an activist investor to sell or revitalize the ailing line.
Dollar Tree, which sells everything for $1 and caters more to mid-income customers with suburban stores, has a plan for Family Dollar: Close stores, re-brand some locations as Dollar Tree, and renovate others with $1 Dollar Tree merchandise sections.
"We are confident we are taking the appropriate steps to reposition our Family Dollar brand," Dollar Tree CEO Gary Philbin said in a news release Wednesday.
This is a developing story.
- Family Dollar will close nearly 400 stores
- Five dollars or less? New store opens with unique concept
- Police release photos of accused dollar store armed robbery suspect
- New dollar store opens inside Honey Creek Mall
- New service at 400 Kroger stores allows customers to skip checkout lines
- Terre Haute department store closing up shop
- Starbucks closing 150 underperforming stores in 2019
- Honey Creek Mall store officially closes
- Another store closes in Vigo County
- Bed Bath & Beyond to close 40 stores