SULLIVAN COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Students have filed a federal lawsuit against the Northeast School Corporation and North Central High School.
That’s located in Farmersburg.
The students allege the school failed to respond appropriately by allowing harassment and bullying by a male student and others.
News 10 received the federal document earlier this week. It was filed on Tuesday, February 13th. The attorney's involved want it known this a serious problem and how it's completely devastated a local family.
Court documents say, the first incident happened in December of 2014. That’s when one female claims, she was raped. This happened not at the school, but in Sullivan County. Documents say she waited until November 2015 to tell parents or anyone at school.
Documents also say when the school was notified the male student remained in her classes and nothing was done. The lawsuit claims this brought on harassment and bullying from students, which led to her feeling fearful and dropping out of school.
The other female is her sibling, which the lawsuit says she was also a victim of bullying due to the situation. Court documents say both girls suffered physical and emotional stress, and have been treated by therapists and counselors.
Attorney’s Eric Frey and Paul Jungers of Terre Haute are representing the girls. They both agree these are topics schools, need to focus on.
Frey told News 10 in an interview on Friday, "He got to stay in school and the girl who is attacked doesn't get to be in school and that's not right,” he added, "Kids can be vicious to each other and it's the schools job to have a policy to prevent that and keeps that from happening. In this case we have information and evidence they just haven't been enforcing that policy or they don't have an adequate policy."
This lawsuit seeks damages for the girl’s injuries and discrimination on the basis of sex under Title IX.
News 10 did reach out to the Northeast School Corporation Superintendent for comment and this was their response:
"We have received the complaint and we are currently reviewing it with counsel. The School Corporation denies all allegations that it engaged in wrongdoing of any kind. Out of respect for the privacy of the students involved, we are, at this time, unable to comment in detail about the specific allegations set forth in the lawsuit."
- Students file federal lawsuit against Northeast School Corp. and North Central High School
- Northeast School Corp. looking at possibility of consolidation
- Local High School Students go high tech
- Local school corporation responds after being hit with federal lawsuit
- Former Southwest School Corp. treasurer arrested for official misconduct
- Kathy Goad starts as superintendent at Linton-Stockton school corp
- High school student changes soldiers' lives
- Police investigate potential threat at North Central High School in Farmersburg
- Vincennes School Corp. looking at later start date for 2018-2019 school year
- Documents filed outlining federal case against Fennell