INDIANA (WTHI) - Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb has directed flags to be flown at half staff in honor of a volunteer firefighter killed in the line of duty.
The accident happened on Friday around 10 p.m. on Old Highway 50, west of County Road 800 East in Daviess County.
Indiana State Police says multiple departments had responded to the accident and three firefighters had shown up in their personal vehicles.
ISP say a fourth responding firefighter, Colby Blake of Cannelburg, was traveling east in his 2006 Dodge Ram truck. They say while approaching the scene, Blake hit the rear of another Dodge Ram truck parked by a firefighter along the south side of the road.
Police say Blake’s Dodge continued east, striking a 2013 Ford Fusion parked by 27-year-old Kendall Murphy of Montgomery. Officials say Murphy, who was a firefighter that responded to the scene, was standing outside of his Ford, and was struck by Blake’s Dodge as it continued east.
Murphy died from his injuries at the scene. Officials report Blake was operating while intoxicated and they say his blood alcohol level was 0.21 percent.
Blake & Wagler Funeral Home in Montgomery says a visitation will be held Monday, November 13, 2017 from 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Providence Mennonite Church for Murphy. The Funeral Home says funeral services are set for Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at Simon J. Graber Complex at 11:00 a.m. The Funeral home says burial will follow in Providence Mennonite Cemetery.
For the full obituary, click here.
Flags should be flown at half-staff from sunrise to sunset on the day of his funeral on Nov. 14.
Gov. Holcomb also asks businesses and residents in Daviess County to lower their flags to half-staff on Tuesday to honor Murphy and his service to the community.
- Gov. Holcomb directs flags at half-staff in honor of volunteer firefighter killed in line of duty
- Holcomb directs flags to half-staff for Patriots Day
- Holcomb directs flags to half-staff for bar shooting victims
- Gov. Holcomb directs flags to be flown at half-staff in wake of Texas church shooting
- Holcomb orders flags to half-staff to honor Barbara Bush
- Holcomb directs flags to be flown at half-staff for 1st Lt. Cullen's funeral
- Holcomb: Fly flags at half-staff for Texas shooting victims
- Gov. Holcomb orders Indiana flags to fly half-staff for Peace Officers Memorial Day
- Funeral arrangements made for Volunteer Firefighter killed in the line of duty
- Flags to be flown at half-staff to honor the fallen