CARLISLE, Ind. (WTHI)- Early Thursday the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility held a meeting. It was for their Community Advisory Board. During the meeting they also gave the board a tour of its newest addition. It aims to get offenders ready for work after release, one phone call at a time.
Charles Hopf has been at the WVCF for two years but he’s been an employee for the past five months.
"So I waited until the sheet came out to sign up for it, I signed up, got the interview and came over," said Hopf about applying for his current job.
Hopf is part of the safety services call center. There nearly 50 offenders call businesses to sell training kits about labor laws. The board go to see offenders in action. Making phone calls all around the country.
Michael Parker is with PEN industries as a project manager. They want to prepare them for work after they are released.
"Our mission is to equip offenders for successful reentry upon release and having joint venture such as this that's the best that it gets,” said Parker.
For these offenders, this isn't just passing time. It's a full time job that they show up for every day. They learn important lessons they will use in the workforce.
"This is something that I feel is going to help me rehabilitate back into society being able to work and help maintain a job even in an environment like this,” said Hopf.
Some of these programs also hire these offenders after their release and this program costs taxpayers nothing.
If you'd like to learn more about the PEN industries programs go to their website here.
- Wabash Valley Correctional Facility Offenders get hands on training for life after release
- Correctional Officer arrested for trafficking at Wabash Valley Correctional Facility
- Offenders at Wabash Valley Correctional Facility helping to feed those in need
- Wabash Valley Correctional Facility worker charged for misconduct with an offender
- PLUS graduation helps inmates at wabash valley correctional facility
- Woman arrested for trafficking drugs into the Wabash Valley Correction facility
- Sullivan Co. man arrested for trafficking at Wabash Valley Correctional Facility
- Hand, foot and mouth disease increases in Wabash Valley
- Visitor Arrest at Putnamville Correctional Facility
- The Santa Train is making stops in the Wabash Valley