TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI)- Hundreds of students and alumni returned to Indiana State University for homecoming. Not just for the parade or game but also the walk.
For many it’s a great time to visit old friends and continue traditions but sometimes large crowds with alcohol don't mix well.
That's why the Council on Domestic Abuse spent the Saturday morning flipping hot cakes for an important cause.
Melissa Reed is the director of legal services for CODA. She was standing next to the tent giving advices to those who stopped by for food.
"Staying with your buddies, not wondering off, not going off with strangers watching your drink," said Reed. This was some of the advice she was giving these students and alumni.
It was a joint effort with IHOP to give out these pancakes. Not only to feed those who had a bit too much to drink but also to remind them about being safe especially when alcohol is a factor.
"It’s supporting such an amazing cause so I hope they understand that they do need to be careful when they are drinking a lot and when they look at the pancakes they say hey I’m sobering up a little bit this is good so they can actually think about what they are doing and be more responsible," said Hanna Harvey who stopped by for some pancakes with her friends.
This positive reaction from these walkers is what makes CODA happy. They just hope that they can prevent future sexual violence one pancake at a time.
"We are just trying to create safer communities so if getting out here and talking to these young people and just kind of reminding them of the things they have been taught their whole life I think we can do some good,” said Reed.
If you would like to learn more about CODA of Terre Haute please check out their website.
- CODA of Terre Haute serves pancakes to raise awareness of sexual violence
- Masquerade event raises funds for CODA
- Community Spotlight: CODA
- CODA holds event to remember the victims of domestic violence
- Burgers served up to help raise Alzheimer's awareness
- Fifi's fundraiser helps to raise money for CODA
- Sugar Grove Methodist Church serves up St. Patty's Day pancakes
- Local group holds fundraiser for CODA
- Sullivan County farmer makes donation to CODA
- Police investigating after search warrant served in Terre Haute