TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Trips to the grocery store might be pricier for the next few months.
An active hurricane season has driven several strong hurricanes through the southern part of the country. This is impacting the production of certain produce like oranges and apples.
Kristine O'Hare with Baesler's Market in Terre Haute says this can lead to expensive fruit.
"That has affected the pricing of different fruits and vegetables in Florida, Texas, and even South America" O'Hare says.
Baesler's in Terre Haute has been seeing prices increase for a variety of fruits.
"Obviously the citrus fruits were impacted pretty heavily. Whenever the past hurricane hit Florida it was about two months into their growing season for citrus fruits so pretty much all of their early and mid-season fruits were knocked from the trees" O'Hare says.
She tells News 10 that during this hurricane season Baesler's was not able to get certain varieties of apples at certain points. Prices from growers across the country increase when shortages of fruits from locations like Texas and Florida happen.
O'Hare says the price increase on citrus fruits may be something shoppers have to deal with for a while.
"It will probably last through the next three or four months because that is about a growing season" she said.
Baesler's and other stores are planning for price increases on wine from California's wine country. The region has been impacted by widespread wildfires.
O'Hare tells News 10 wines coming from the California wine region this year will have a "smoky" taste due to the wildfires.
- Hurricane season increases prices of local groceries
- What to Expect From Hurricane Season
- Local drivers share their concerns for an increase in gas prices
- Local grocery store teams with Terre Haute Humane Society
- Lice cases increase during Halloween season
- Local organization lends help to hurricane victims
- Expect a busier-than-normal hurricane season, NOAA says
- Grocery stores stocking up for game day
- Terre Haute grocery chain starts delivery service
- How Hurricanes are Categorized