KNOX COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI)- Brian Spangle is a well-known Knox County historian in Vincennes. He does the majority of his work at the county’s public library due to their large historical archive.
“They start in 1790. There are documents that involve William Henry Harrison and Francis Vigo. A lot of records that pertain to who the county operated," said Spangle.
Documents that have played historic roles in Knox County History. That's why last year they were excited to receive a grant to digitize these fragile documents for years to come.
Ann Hecht is one of the employees helping digitize these documents. Not only do they convert the documents but they also have to break down all of its details for the website. For them, it can be a long process. But they have made headway.
Within 10 months they have digitized over 5,600 documents. But that only roughly accounts for 10%. Of what they have been trying to digitize.
"The grant ended in October and so we have applied for another grant to continue doing the work. It would be great to be able to continue this because there is so much history here," said Hecht.
If they don't receive the grant they will continue to work on these projects but it will be at a much slower rate. Local historians like Spangle just hope the community appreciates the work done to preserve these documents.
"I feel Knox County is so far ahead of most other counties and what they've done to try to preserve their records. Just the people know that we have that material and that we are dedicated to preserving it," said Spangle.
They hope to find out if they receive the grant by the beginning of December. If you'd like to check out the online archives go to their website.
- Knox County Public Library hopes to continue digitizing archives.
- Renovation project coming to Knox County public library
- Vigo County public library hosts literacy fair
- Vigo County Public Library wins big award
- Knox County library to hold active shooter training for staff
- Knox County Election Results
- North Knox Swimland hopes to reopen
- Loogootee public library is open for business
- Polar Express comes to the Vigo County Public Library
- New entrance opened at Vigo County Public Library