VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI)- The city of Vincennes received $500,000 toward its façade program. Not only are they ready to make changes to Main St. They're already looking ahead to the future.
Including Bauer Jewelers and Gemologist who have been at their location since 2003. It’s been a popular location for jewelry in the Knox County. Now the owner Aaron Bauer is excited to renovate their location to improve Main Street.
"Obviously we got 250-year-old buildings then we got some that were built in the 1900's all the way up until recent years." Said Bauer.
The project will improve the building's exterior. Workers plan to remove worn down bricks as well as put up some new signs but leaders do not plan to use all of the money on this one building.
Bauer Jewelers is just one of 9 locations to receive funding from the façade grant. It might have taken two times to get the grant but its news the community is excited to hear.
Those 9 businesses are
-Moore & Miller
-Vincennes Ocular Centre
-Insight of the Wabash
-Farm and Sport
-Christian Science Reading Room
The project won't get underway until next year but the city is already making moves to keep improving Main Street.
This includes bringing new business downtown. Another factor that could help improve Main Street is the Stellar Program says Mayor Joe Yochum.
"Hopefully get stellar designation next week that will work on putting a park at second and main as well as a pier that goes out over the river down at the trailhead at the end of Main Street," said Mayor Yochum.
As for these local businesses they hope the future changes will inspire other communities. Not only to bring in more business but to preserve history.
"To work together and achieve results for the greater community and we're seeing that now. It’s already happening but perhaps we can spread that throughout the state," said Bauer.
Vincennes will find out next Wednesday if they'll receive funding through the Stellar Program.
- Vincennes already looking towards future of Main Street after grant
- Vincennes Main street project underway
- Vincennes denied grant funding for Main street project
- Work continues on Vincennes main street project
- Main street project moves forward in Vincennes
- Construction closes Vincennes street
- Vincennes one step closer to starting Main Street Project
- Vincennes Police receives grant to prepare for future headquarter issues
- Vincennes wraps up work on first phase of the Main street project
- Phase one on main street project begins